What to Expect
Before your appointment:
- It’s a good idea to eat something light. Acupuncture on an empty or very full stomach is generally not a good idea.
- Most often the points we will use are on the head and ears, arms and legs. Please try to wear loose fitting clothing that can easily be pulled up above your knees and elbows.
- Please plan to arrive 10 minutes before your first appointment to fill out initial intake paperwork.
Once you've done that:
- We will go over your health concerns, history, and goals together and come up with a good treatment plan.
- We will feel your pulse and look at your tongue to help narrow down the TCM diagnosis.
- We will insert very thin, sterile, one time use, disposable acupuncture needles to help regulate the flow of Qi and blood in the body and to encourage your body to heal itself.
- You will rest on the massage table with the needles in for about 30 minutes to let the needles do their work. Some people fall asleep or meditate during this time.
- Each treatment is tailored to your specific presentation and needs at a particular point in time. If it is called for your treatment may include cupping, an herbal consult, or energetic healing work.
- It’s best to avoid alcohol, excessive amounts of sugar, and or excessive exercise immediately after acupuncture.
- Make sure to drink some water afterwards.